Thursday, February 13, 2014

Flight cancellations – Notes on avoiding the queues

When your flight is cancelled, there’s nothing worse than finding your only option is joining the queue at a customer service counter with a hundred other people, all in the same boat (or lack of plane). You call the 800 number, and have to wait for an eternity on hold. It’s a tough time with not many options available.

 In years of traveling I have always tried to make sure I have more options. Sometimes, extra choices simply cost more. For me, membership in VIP/Red Carpet lounges has been a lifesaver, and more than paid off its annual membership fee. For about $375 a year, I get direct access to executive/first class lounges all over the world, even when I’m traveling coach (always!). Free coffee and snacks is one benefit. Easy, quieter and more comfortable surroundings to work or rest is another huge benefit, especially in the case of delays or cancellations. But by far the most valuable part of this access, is access to a dedicated customer service counter. You get to avoid long queues and speak directly to an agent who will help you right away.

Last time this happened to me in San Francisco, I only realized my flight was cancelled after I got through security. I headed straight for the lounge and was rebooked on the next flight, with standby on another one. Totally worth it. Yes, it costs more. But I got hours of work done in the quiet United lounge and the experience was completely painless. I think of it as travel insurance that actually provides something useful!

Find out more travel tips with my Travel series for iPad and iPad Mini: Around The World In 18 Days, 48 Hours In Cairo, 48 Hours In Hong Kong, 48 Hours In Istanbul. Now available on the App Store for iPad. www.aroundtheworldbook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment